Prof. HUNG Kei Ching, Kevin
MBChB MRCSEd MPH EMDM FHKCEM FHKAM(EM) FRCEM
Assistant Professor in Emergency Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong
Deputy Director, Collaborating Centre for Oxford University and CUHK for Disaster and Medical Humanitarian Response (CCOUC)
Editor-in-Chief, Hong Kong Journal of Emergency Medicine
Dr Kevin KC Hung is an Assistant Professor in Emergency Medicine and an Assistant Professor (by courtesy) of the Division of Global Health and Humanitarian Medicine at The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Dr Hung is an emergency medicine specialist with master degrees in public health and disaster medicine. He was the founding Director of Hong Kong Jockey Club Disaster Preparedness and Response Institute (HKJCDPRI).
Dr Hung is currently the Deputy Director of CCOUC, and also the Editor in Chief of the Hong Kong Journal of Emergency Medicine. Apart from being the Member of the Council of the Hong Kong College of Emergency Medicine, he also serves as a member of the Hong Kong Fire Services Department Paramedic Development and Accreditation Advisory Committee. On the resuscitation front, he is a member of the Basic Life Support Task Force at the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR), and a member of the Scientific and Education Committee of Hong Kong Resuscitation Council.
Dr Hung has published widely in academic journals and my research interests span various domains of emergency care and disaster medicine. He has 70 journal articles published in academic journals, and have personally received 2.9 million HKD funding since 2016 through various grants including from the Health and Medical Research Fund. He leads an international research group with members from US (Harvard University), Japan (Tohoku University and University of Hyogo), Italy (University of Piemonte Orientale), Philippines (University of Philippines Manila), and mainland China (West China Hospital of Sichuan University) in conducting a multistage study on Health Emergency and Disaster Risk Management (Health EDRM). This project is funded by the WHO Centre for Health Development, and is expected to generate a policy recommendation on Health EDRM health workforce development for Health Ministries worldwide.
Within emergency medicine, Dr Hung is currently conducting a multicentre randomised controlled trial on the use of combination analgesia to improve the functional outcome of acute low back pain patients attending to the Emergency Departments. He has previously published systematic review papers on resuscitation and the management of sepsis, trials on analgesia for soft tissue injuries and the use of assessment aids in helicopter rescue, and various cohort and observational studies. He has been invited to various local and regional conferences including the International Conference on Emergency Medicine 2021. He has also served as a reviewer for multiple journals including Resuscitation, Canadian Medical Association Journal and Emerging Infectious Diseases.
Tel: (852) 3505-1034
1. Hung KK,Kifley A, Brown K, Jagnoor J, Craig A, Gabbe B, Derrett S, Dinh M, Gopinath B, Cameron ID. Impacts of injury severity on long-term outcomes following motor vehicle crashes. BMC public health. 2021 Dec;21(1):1-3.
2. Rainer TH, Hung KK, Yeung JH, Cheung SK, Leung YK, Leung LY,Goggins WB, Ho HF, Kam CW, Cheung NK, Graham CA. Trajectory of functional outcome and health status after moderate-to-major trauma in Hong Kong: a prospective 5 year cohort study. Injury. 2019; Feb 22. doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2019.02.017. [Epub ahead of print]
3. Hung KK,Mashino S, Chan EY, MacDermot MK, Balsari S, Ciottone GR, Della Corte F, Dell’Aringa MF, Egawa S, Evio BD, Hart A. Health Workforce Development in Health Emergency and Disaster Risk Management: The Need for Evidence-Based Recommendations. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2021 Jan;18(7):3382. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph18073382
4. OlasveengenTM, Mancini ME, Perkins GD, Avis S, Brooks S, Castrén M, Chung SP, Considine J, Couper K, Escalante R, Hatanaka T, Hung KKC, Kudenchuk P, Lim SH, Nishiyama C, Ristagno G, Semeraro F, Smith CM, Smyth MA, Vaillancourt C, Nolan JP, Hazinski MF, Morley PT, Adult Basic Life Support Collaborators. Adult Basic Life Support: 2020 International Consensus on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care Science With Treatment Recommendations. Circulation. 2020 Oct 20;142(16_suppl_1):S41-91. DOI: 10.1161/cir.0000000000000892
5. Hung KKC,Chan YY, Cocks RA, Ong R, Rainer TH, Graham CA. Predictors of diversions and deaths for in-flight medical emergencies in commercial aviation. Arch Intern Med 2010;170(15):1401-1402
ICARE Chinese University of Hong Kong Grant 2012-13
ICARE Chinese University of Hong Kong Grant 2011-12
Health Care and Promotion Fund 2012
CUHK Direct Grant for Research 2011
Children’s Medical Foundation Research Grant 2009
Hong Kong College of Emergency Medicine Research Grant 2008